How It Works
Dealing with Tough Negotiators begins with a 30-item assessment focusing on critical aspects of tough negotiators.
Participants then learn about the Model of Negotiating Behavior, score their assessment, and chart their results for each of the five negotiating skill sets. Interpretive information provides insight on scores, and thought-provoking questions help participants think of ways to practice the five skills.
The workshop ends by exploring the Dealing with Tough Negotiators workbook, which offers participants techniques for practicing and applying these skills.
Uses and Applications
Dealing with Tough Negotiators is based on the Model of Negotiating Behavior. This model showcases five collaborative negotiating skills that move a negotiation back to a constructive, objective discussion. These skills prepare collaborative negotiators for both offense (proactive collaboration) and defense (wariness, solid research, and constant questioning).
The five critical skills for dealing with tough negotiations:
- Maintaining composure
- Developing data
- Refocusing the discussion
- Being creative
- Handling information strategically
Effective as stand-alone instruments or as part of a negotiating training program, Dealing with Tough Negotiators helps negotiators who:
- Are about to enter into a particularly difficult negotiation
- Routinely face tough negotiating partners
- Have become set in their negotiating tactics and need a refresher
- Are familiar with collaborative negotiation, but lack the means to achieve results
By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Learn five critical skills for dealing with tough negotiations
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in five skill areas
- Practice handling tough negotiations
- Understand how to enable win-win solutions with tough negotiators