How It Works
Each adventure simulation in HRDQ's Team Adventure Series starts with a suspense-filled scenario that challenges teams to work together to escape danger with only limited resources - and each other. While most people can rest assured knowing they'll never encounter these survival situations, they do experience similar feelings of stress and conflict, which accompany everyday organizational life.
Outback is a team-building simulation requiring participants to band together to survive with limited supplies in the Australian bush. Following the introduction of the survival scenario, participants are challenged to rank four immediate response alternatives and ten daypack items - first as individuals and then a second time as a team. Participants compare their team scores to the best individual score and expert rationale to determine if synergy was achieved.
The two-hour workshop explores the concept of synergy and helps teams to develop vital group-process skills such as decision making and interpersonal communication. The exercise also includes an introduction to three elements of synergy, a five-step problem-solving technique, four critical group maintenance skills, and the importance of consensus decision making.
Uses and Applications
Outback can be used as a standalone training instrument or incorporated into a more comprehensive program on team building. It's also effective as a component for problem-solving and decision-making training programs. Use this survival simulation to:
- Illustrate the concept of team synergy
- Give teams a nonthreatening opportunity to work together
- Help teams practice consensus decision making
- Improve active listening, probing, and confronting behaviors
- Train team leaders in team facilitation skills
- Open or close a learning session
By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Uncover how to develop group problem-solving skills using a five-step process
- Learn techniques for team conflict resolution
- Understand four techniques to improve communication
- Discover the advantages of consensus decision making
- Learn the critical elements of team synergy