Flight From Savo
Send administrators on an exploration of their supervisory skills with Flight from Savo, HRDQ's exciting hands-on adventure game. This energizing activity gives participants first-hand experience of the fundamental leadership skills presented in our award-winning Supervisory Skills Questionnaire.
This exciting simulation game demonstrates how a supervisor puts the five critical supervisory skills to work. Presented with a predetermined set of toy parts and left with having to build an escape plane, each group elects a supervisor who guides the construction project using the five supervisory skills.
How It Works
A series of "setbacks" and "lucky breaks" complicates and facilitates the group’s work, and also challenges the supervisor. The simulation ends when the reconstructed plane is deemed airworthy. After the models are completed (approximately 60 minutes later), participants take part in a group discussion on the use of the five supervisory skills used during the activity.
The five supervisory skills include:
- Guiding the work: Taking the direction of the organization and translating it into actionable plans
- Organizing the work: Assigning people, equipment, and tasks to meet goals
- Developing your staff: Actively working to increase the skill level of each employee
- Managing performance: Removing obstacles so employees can meet personal and organizational objectives
- Managing relations: Developing and maintaining good relationships with other groups so that the supervisor’s employees and the organization achieve their goals
Uses and Applications
We recommend using Flight from Savo in conjunction with our best-selling learning instrument, the Supervisory Skills Questionnaire. Based on the same training model, the Supervisory Skills Questionnaire pinpoints leadership skill strengths and weaknesses. Flight from Savo then offers supervisors a fun and interactive way to practice, experience, and discuss these key skills.
By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Learn five fundamental supervisory skills
- Practice the five skills in an engaging "live" group project
- Receive direct feedback on skill strengths and weaknesses
- Understand the challenges of being a supervisor
- Determine which skills one can apply to be more effective on the job
- Product Type: Game.
The Facilitator Guide includes everything you need to lead a successful training session.
- Target Audience: Employees at all levels.
- Measures: Consensus decision-making under pressure.
- Dimensions: Problem-solving, communication, and conflict resolution in a nonthreatening learning environment.
- Time Required: Two hours.
What to Order
Complete Game Kit: Order One Kit to Train Up to 21 Participants and One Trainer
The Complete Game Kit includes a Facilitator guide, three sets of game parts, 21 Participant Guides, three decks of lucky break cards, three decks of setback cards, three laminated instruction cards, one stopwatch, three rubberized table-mat, one pad of observer forms, one pad reflection questions, one plastic card case, and one sturdy tote bag.
Participant Guide 5-Pack: Order One Pack for Up to Five Participants
The Participant Guide provides an in-depth breakdown of the game, pressure-sensitive scoring, background information, team worksheets, and action planning.
Extra Game Pack: Order One Extra Game Pack to Train One Additional Group
Each Extra Game Pack has enough components to train one additional team of seven participants.
About the Authors
The HRDQ Development Team creates soft-skills learning solutions that help to improve the performance of individuals, teams, and organizations. At HRDQ, we believe an experiential approach is the best catalyst for adult learning. Our unique Experiential Learning Model has been the core of what we do for more than 40 years. We combine the best of organizational learning theory and proven facilitation methods with an appreciation for adult learning styles, our philosophy initiates and inspires lasting change.