The Outback Scenario
One morning a group of friends decide to take a daring hike in the Australian outback - without a guide. They follow a herd of wild ponies, but before they know it, the sight of any recognizable trail is lost. Every tree, shrub, and patch of ground suddenly looks exactly the same, and now they're officially lost in the Australian bush. A rush of panic strikes the group as they realize it might be days before they're found. Dressed in khakis, t-shirts, hats, and hiking boots, they must find a way to survive the elements with only limited daypack supplies and the clothes on their backs.
How It Works
Uses and Applications
Outback can be used as a standalone training instrument or incorporated into a more comprehensive program on team building. It's also effective as a component for problem-solving and decision-making training programs. Use the survival simulation to:
- Illustrate the concept of team synergy.
- "Break the ice" among new or conflicted teams.
- Give teams a nonthreatening opportunity to work together.
- Help teams practice consensus decision making.
- Improve active listening, probing, and confronting behaviors in a realistic setting.
- Train team leaders in team facilitation skills.
- Open or close a learning session.
- Introduce an organizational change.
- Interject a fun activity into an otherwise serious agenda.
- Supplement outdoor experiential learning.
- Hone group problem-solving skills using a five-step process
- Learn techniques for team conflict resolution
- Understand four techniques to improve communication
- Discover the advantages of consensus decision making
- Learn the three elements of synergy
Administration: 15 minutes
Workshop: 2 hours
What to Order
- Facilitator Set: Order one per trainer.
- The comprehensive facilitator set includes everything trainers need to deliver Outback, including background information, administrative guidelines, a step-by-step workshop outline, expert rationale, alternative training designs, a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, and sample participant materials. Facilitator support materials will be available to you as a digital download link in your order confirmation.
- Participant Guide: Order one per individual or participant.
- The participant guide includes the adventure scenario, pressure-sensitive scoring, background information, five-step problem-solving process, how to improve team discussions, team reflection, and action-planning worksheets.