How It Works
The assessment presents 30 statements regarding current practices as a manager in developing high-performing employees. In scoring the assessment, participants determine their overall performance management score. In addition, participants create a self-profile showing scores for each of the five conversations. Feedback forms submitted by peers provide the data to create a second - or "feedback" - profile. Finally, to prepare for meeting with employees, participants complete worksheets on each of the five conversations.
- Identify conversational areas in need of development
- Compare perceptions with valuable feedback from direct reports
- Develop vital performance-related conversational skills
Uses and Applications
Performance Management Through 5 Key Conversations is effective when used alone or as part of a management development program (flexible enough to be used at various stages). The instrument can be used in the following ways:
- To establish a new approach to performance management in an organization
- To provide basic skills in performance management for new managers or supervisors
- To suggest an alternate or complementary approach to existing performance management techniques being used in an organization
If the feedback form is used, the manager should have at least 90 days of experience managing his/her employees. It is ideal if the manager has been through a performance review process with the employees who complete the feedback form.