How It Works
Communication Derailed is a hands-on activity tackling three classic communication challenges: communication within a team, between teams, and during organizational stress. Three comprehensive, self-contained modules provide the necessary framework to conduct independent training workshops or a series of sessions.
In Communication Derailed, participants will discover the powerful results of both ineffective and effective communication within their organization. Working as employees of a toy manufacturing company, teams are charged with building new prototypes using fun, colorful parts. However, the hands-on tasks become complicated when they are presented with obstacles that challenge their communication skills. Through the experience of working together and with the help of the facilitator, participants learn how to overcome these problems. By doing so, they improve their performance through effective communication.
Uses and Applications
Communication Derailed is appropriate for individuals at any level of an organization where the three modules are able to be run independently or in a series. The individual modules are:
- Module 1: Can be run with new teams (to give them an idea of the challenges they may face) or existing teams (to expose and identify current communication problems). This can also be used for general team communication skill-building
- Module 2: Is appropriate in organizations that require cross-team or cross-department work. Organizations with only a few levels of management will also benefit from this training
- Module 3: Should be used in organizations that are in the midst of a transition. It will also be helpful to fast-moving organizations that function under continual time pressure
At the end of this simulation, participants will understand how to:
- Recognize how poor communication can damage an organization
- Understand how to handle unique communication problems
- Learn how to improve communication skills
- Create a personal action plan