Effective Listening Skills Instructor-Led Course
Listening is the cornerstone of communication. Effective listening makes the person speaking feel valued, prevents miscommunication, speeds productivity, and creates more active forums of discussion. But listening goes beyond just hearing. From reading body language and facial expressions, to discerning emotions to accurately processing messages, listening involves a high level of observation, empathy and analysis. Yet most of us unknowingly fail to listen.
According to studies on listening, we are distracted, preoccupied or forgetful about 75 percent of the time we should be listening. We listen at 125-250 words per minute, but think at 1000-3000 words per minute. Immediately after we listen to someone, we only recall about 50 percent of what they said. This is concerning, given that over 35 business studies indicate that listening is a top skill needed for success in business. So how can we improve our basic attention and retention?
This class will help you improve your listening skills by helping you discern hidden messages, kick distracted tendencies, listen in emotional situations or groups, and increase information flow to enhance productivity. As a result you will receive messages clearly, build rapport with colleagues, avoid mistakes as a result of miscommunication, and create more positive work environment. This three hour-program offers workplace tips, self-assessment exercises, real-life scenarios, practice activities, and more.
- Understanding the difference between effective and ineffective listeners
- How to prepare physically and mentally for listening
- How to fulfill listening steps: ready, receive, review, respond, remember
- Perfecting questioning techniques
- Uncovering hidden messages by comparing body language and words
Participants Will Learn:
- Describe the importance of listening
- Identify barriers to listening well
- Implement the steps of active listening
- Uncover hidden messages
- Listen in emotional situations
Ready to schedule your class?
- Add this item to your cart. Quantity of one for each class of up to 20 participants.
- Complete your order and check out. An HRDQ Customer Service Representative will contact you to schedule your session.
- You may also contact us to purchase and schedule your session.