Every workgroup is different, and with so many complex variables to consider, how can you determine what makes an effective leader? The answer is focus and flexibility. The Focused Leader Profile identifies critical factors to help leaders narrow their focus, analyze workgroup situations, and determine how to respond effectively.
What to Order
How It Works
The Focused Leader Profile presents leaders with eight work scenarios and four possible responses. Scoring participants' results generate two profiles; one for style effectiveness and one for leadership flexibility.
Next, leaders introduce themselves to the three factors of focused leadership. They learn how to analyze these factors when choosing an effective task/relationship-oriented approach to address workgroup situations. The interpretation of profile results and action planning help leaders apply their learning to a current workgroup situation.
Three factors of focused leadership:
- Relationships among the leader and the group members
- The clarity of the task
- The power of a leader to carry out the organization’s work
Uses and Applications
The Focused Leader Profile is appropriate for leaders at any organizational level. Flexible enough to be used as a stand-alone instrument or as a component in a larger leadership-training program, it's the perfect starting point in helping leaders to think in terms of the "situation-ality."
Use the Focused Leader Profile as a:
- New supervisor/manager training: Use this workshop as a baseline for new managers. Coupled with an explanation of the theory and the three factors of leadership, new managers have a foundation for developing and fine-tuning their management skills
- Refresher training: Use this training tool as a pre/post-application. By taking the profile twice, managers gain a comparison and help in identifying areas of strength and improvement
- Component of a longer training system: Use this profile as part of a supervisory or leadership development curriculum
The Focused Leader Profile instrument identifies three factors to help leaders narrow their focus and analyze workgroup situations. Learning outcomes are:
- Improve relationships among leaders and group members
- Develop clarity of the task
- Determine the leader's power base
- Learn key factors leaders should use to analyze and use to respond to workgroup situations
- Identify appropriate tasks or relationship-focused responses
- Develop personalized action steps for responding to a current leadership situation
Product Type: Assessment. The Facilitator Guide includes everything you need to lead a successful training session.
Target Audience: Managers and supervisors.
Measures: How well team leaders focus and follow through with work tasks.
Dimensions: Organizing behavior, relationship behavior, learning behavior, emotional behavior, and career management behavior.
Time Required: Three hours.
What to Order
Starter Kit: Order One Kit for Up to Five Participants and One Trainer.
The Starter Kit includes a Facilitator Guide and a 5-pack of Paper Assessments.
Facilitator Guide: Order One Guide Per Trainer.
The Facilitator Guide includes background information, administrative guidelines, step-by-step workshop outline, and sample participant materials. Facilitator materials will be available as a digital download link in your order confirmation.
Paper Assessment 5-Pack: Order One Pack for Up to Five Participants.
The Paper Assessment is ideal for facilitators who prefer to oversee scoring and administration of the assessment. It provides pressure-sensitive forms for manual scoring.
About the Authors
The HRDQ Development Team creates soft-skills learning solutions that help to improve the performance of individuals, teams, and organizations. At HRDQ, we believe an experiential approach is the best catalyst for adult learning. Our unique Experiential Learning Model has been the core of what we do for more than 40 years. Combining the best of organizational learning theory and proven facilitation methods with an appreciation for adult learning styles, our philosophy initiates and inspires lasting change.