Benchmarks of Team Excellence
Benchmarks of Team Excellence is a teamwork excellence assessment and training workshop revealing vital information about the experience and attitudes of those who know the team best - the team members.
Benchmarks of Team Excellence was developed as part of an extensive research project to investigate the relationship between various leadership behaviors and the level of excellence in the manager's team. A thorough review and synthesis of the literature reveals six indicators of excellent work units: alignment, team effectiveness, empowerment, passion, commitment, and results.
Available in online and print format
- Online version available through the HRDQ Assessment Center.
- Students may self-enroll in the online version.
- Self-enrollment is also a good option for trainers and consultants who wish to evaluate content for their organization or client.
How it Works
Benchmarks of Team Excellence will help any team become excellent, including departments, management teams, project teams, and self-directed work teams. By combining individual scores with the team's scores, participants get a portrait of their team's overall level of performance in each of the six indicators of excellence.
The Six Indicators of Excellence:
- Alignment: A deep sense of vision or purpose that is shared among team members
- Team Effectiveness: Strong internal processes that allow coordinated efforts, such as shared values, trust, open communication, flexibility, and decision making
- Empowerment: Feeling empowered to do what is necessary; both personally and within a collective power
- Passion: High and sustained levels of energy, enthusiasm, excitement, and confidence
- Commitment: Deep commitment to the purpose of the team and to each other
- Results: Accomplishing outstanding results based on high standards
Interpretative information provides insight into the ranges and scores. With analysis, discussion, and action planning questions, participants then reflect on and discuss the team's functioning and how it can improve.
Uses & Applications
Benchmarks of Team Excellence is an effective stand-alone training session, or it can also be easily incorporated into a larger training program. The assessment has been used by a wide variety of organizations for team building and team leadership training, as well as in programs to teach the concepts regarding:
- Excellent organizational practices
- Characteristics of high-performance teams
- Group dynamics
By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Uncover how to measure the extent to which teams possess the six indicators of excellence
- Compare a team's performance with other excellent and high-performing teams
- Learn how to determine action steps to help teams move farther and faster along the journey toward excellence
Product Type: Assessment and workshop.
Target Audience: Teams at all levels
Measures: The six indicators of excellence
Dimensions: Teamwork, communication, and problem-solving
Time Required: One hour
What To Order
Facilitator Guide: Order One Guide Per Trainer.
The Facilitator Guide includes background information, administrative guidelines, step-by-step workshop outline, and sample participant materials. Facilitator materials will be available as a digital download link in your order confirmation.
Paper Assessment 5-Pack: Order One Pack For Up to Five Participants.
A comprehensive takeaway that includes critical content, worksheets, and forms used during the workshop, as well as additional tools for on-the-job use.
Online Assessment: Order One Per Participant.
The foundation for the workshop, the online assessment is administered to participants through the HRDQ Assessment Center. A full-color, detailed report is delivered electronically to the facilitator/administrator when complete.
QuickStart Train-the-Trainer: 1-hour virtual coaching session for this product.
QST is a convenient, one hour virtual coaching session for first-time facilitators of this product. You'll receive personalized, one-on-one coaching with a subject matter expert who will get you up to speed quickly and accurately, so you can step into the onsite with confidence. We'll answer all your questions about facilitation of the product. And you can add additional coaching hours as needed. Your coaching session can be provided by telephone or video call, and at a time of your choosing.
Facilitators will also receive an HRDQ Certificate of Completion for completing the QuickStart session.
About The Author
Jesse Lyn Stoner is a business consultant, coach, former executive, and bestselling author. Her clients range from international corporations to small businesses, government divisions, and non-profit organizations, and include Edelman, Marriott, SAP, Stanley, Skanska, The Hartford, and Yale University.