How It Works
Available in both online and printed formats, the Supervisory Skills Questionnaire assessment tools present individuals with a series of 30 real-world situations. Their task is to choose one of three possible response actions. Scores reveal an overall supervisory score as well as strengths and areas for improvement in five specific skills:
- Guiding the work
- Organizing the work
- Developing your staff
- Managing performance
- Managing relations
In addition to the self-assessment, the Supervisory Skills Questionnaire includes a new online 180 degree feedback component that enables supervisors to understand how they are perceived by their direct reports. The comprehensive data provides individuals with an in-depth understanding of their performance and a benchmark they can use to create an action plan for improvement.
The self-assessment and the online 180 degree assessment take approximately 20 minutes to complete. If you are not facilitating the half-day, supervisory skills training workshop, we recommend you allow approximately one hour for the interpretation of results, debrief, and goal setting. Trainer certification is not required to administer or facilitate the Supervisory Skills Questionnaire.
Uses and Applications
The Supervisory Skills Questionnaire is excellent as a stand-alone learning instrument or part of a more comprehensive supervisory skills training program. It will benefit supervisors with all levels of experience. With comprehensive and adaptable content, the program covers skill areas that are integral to everyone from relatively inexperienced supervisors to seasoned veterans. The assessment is effective as a:
- Centerpiece of a supervisor training or leadership development program.
- Discussion starter to bring to the surface existing problems.
- Readiness gauge for new supervisors.
- Refresher for more experienced supervisors.
- Mentoring tool for novice supervisors.
- Follow-up assessment for measuring performance improvement.
- Tool for further developing supervisor skills
The fourth edition offers many exciting new features:
- Fully revised, full-color facilitator guide
- Step-by-step half-day workshop
- Paper and online assessment options
- New self-study assessment option
- New online option for 180 degree peer feedback
- Comprehensive participant workbook
- Contemporary Supervisory Skills Model
- New skill-development module
- Updated references and statistical analysis
- Microsoft PowerPoint presentation
- Supervisory Skills Model Poster
- HRDQue Card (SSQ Quick Tips)
- Understand the core roles and responsibilities of a supervisor
- Measure performance in five key supervisory skills training areas
- Discover skill strengths and identify areas in need of improvement
- Develop an action-oriented plan to improve competence and impact