Part of the HRDQ Style Series, this leadership training module identifies leadership styles and helps managers and supervisors improve performance and become effective leaders.
Great leadership in an organization is essential. But it can be hard to come by. Studies show that 40 percent of new leaders fail within the first 18 months. The good news is that leadership failure can be predicted and prevented when managers are given the right resources. Explore the leadership training course materials available at HRDQ to help you improve leadership skills in your organization.
This powerful assessment and training workshop helps both new and seasoned managers to develop the capabilities and versatility they need to succeed in today’s interconnected and collaborative world.
Learn More about Leadership...
Promoting Leadership in The Workplace
Leadership is a lifelong endeavor you can never stop improving upon. There's no such thing as being too good of a leader, and the skills required translate seamlessly from your professional career into your personal life.
HRDQ’s leadership assessments and strengthening tools can help your organization develop strong leadership skills. There are a host of leadership skills training courses and activities that boost, identify, and discover your leadership abilities. Whether the leaders in your audience are newly-minted or seasoned professionals, they'll benefit tremendously from HRDQ’s leadership development tools.
Understanding Leadership Styles
There are four leadership styles that people must be aware of in order to be a more effective leader:
- Direct – Direct leaders have high assertiveness and low expressiveness. They tend to lead by taking charge.
- Spirited – Spirited leaders have high assertiveness and high expressiveness. They usually lead others by inspiring them.
- Considerate – Considerate leaders have low assertiveness and high expressiveness. They lead by building group harmony.
- Systematic – Systematic leaders have low assertiveness and low expressiveness. They usually lead by planning carefully.
The most effective leaders adapt their leadership styles for each situation they encounter. They need to know when to be flexible, when to negotiate, and when to be firm. They can “flex” their styles to work with others and lead them to success.
Becoming a Better Leader
A good leader exemplifies certain traits. They need to be open to learning and growing as they advance through their career. If they have buy-in from their staff, they are more likely to be successful. The success of a leader truly depends on their support staff, so they should ensure they are operating with honesty, transparency, respect, and dignity. Great skills to exemplify include:
- Learning Continually. As a leader, a person must recognize that they need be continual learners. The learning process never stops, and good leaders grow and change as time goes on.
- Championing Change. As change is constant, leaders must be champions of change—planning it, approaching it, introducing it, working it, and following through on it.
- Communicating Powerfully. Every part of the leader’s role requires communication skills. Leaders must become powerful communicators to get what they want to express across.
- Building Relationships. Leaders have to cooperate with people. They must build relationships to gain respect from others and work toward success.
- Developing Others. Coaching and giving feedback are two skills that leaders need to perform continually. To reach goals, there needs to be individual growth of everyone on the team.
- Solving Problems and Making Decisions. Problems will occur and decisions must be made daily. Leaders must become problem solvers and decision makers.
- Setting Goals. Leaders are responsible for setting goals for themselves, their team, and the organization. Setting and working to meet goals is an integral part of a company’s evolution to success.
What's My Leadership Style is a management development and leadership style assessment and training workshop that identifies leadership ...View full detailsfrom $25.75
We are all given a unique set of talents when we are born. While these abilities help us to evolve as leaders, others need to be nurtured and devel...View full detailsfrom $32.00
Managing in today's complex environment is more challenging than ever, and the addition of multi-functional teams, virtual work environm...View full detailsfrom $25.75
Most people think the term "legacy" and often think of something left behind when you're gone. However, what if you were living your leg...View full detailsfrom $25.75
There's no doubt that the leaders in your organization look great on paper. They've got degrees from leading universities, impeccable credentials, ...View full detailsfrom $25.75
Reality-Based Leadershipby Cy Wakeman Based on Cy Wakeman's popular book "Reality-Based Leadership," this workshop conveys a candid, humorous appr...View full detailsfrom $28.00
Send supervisors on a memorable exploration of supervisory skills with Flight from Savo, HRDQ's exciting hands-on adventure game. Participants expe...View full detailsfrom $60.00
The average person speaks up to 16,000 words every day. That a lot of talking, but successful leaders know there's a significant differe...View full details$599.00
Today's business environment demands that all managers effectively display both leadership and management skills. However, managers ofte...View full detailsfrom $25.75
You don't have to leave earth for stellar skill development. Long gone are the days where collaboration served as an intermittent, as-nee...View full detailsfrom $12.50
This modular Strategic Leadership Training Course is easy to use and enables anyone to quickly and effectively teach managers how to become better ...View full detailsfrom $80.00
Leadership is the ability to turn a vision into a reality by engaging other people. It’s a state of being that permeates one’s values, a...View full details$599.00
Visionary leaders are inspiring, and every organization, regardless of size or mission, requires leadership ready to manage existing bus...View full detailsfrom $41.25
The Campbell Leadership Descriptor (CLD) is a self-assessment designed to help individuals, identify the essential characteristics of su...View full detailsfrom $25.75
We have high and often conflicting expectations of leaders. Be reasonable but passionate. Decisive but inclusive. Visionary but explicit...View full detailsfrom $15.00
The Focused Leader Profile identifies 3 factors to help leaders narrow their focus, analyze work group situations, and determine how to respond eff...View full detailsfrom $97.50
Experience Explorer is a deck of cards that starts conversations, builds camaraderie, and creates networks. Experience Explorer helps managers at a...View full detailsfrom $50.00