Part of the HRDQ Style Series, this leadership training module identifies leadership styles and helps managers and supervisors improve performance and become effective leaders.
Great leadership in an organization is essential. But it can be hard to come by. Studies show that 40 percent of new leaders fail within the first 18 months. The good news is that leadership failure can be predicted and prevented when managers are given the right resources. Explore the leadership training course materials available at HRDQ to help you improve leadership skills in your organization.
This powerful assessment and training workshop helps both new and seasoned managers to develop the capabilities and versatility they need to succeed in today’s interconnected and collaborative world.
Learn More about Leadership...
Promoting Leadership in The Workplace
Leadership is a lifelong endeavor you can never stop improving upon. There's no such thing as being too good of a leader, and the skills required translate seamlessly from your professional career into your personal life.
HRDQ’s leadership assessments and strengthening tools can help your organization develop strong leadership skills. There are a host of leadership skills training courses and activities that boost, identify, and discover your leadership abilities. Whether the leaders in your audience are newly-minted or seasoned professionals, they'll benefit tremendously from HRDQ’s leadership development tools.
Understanding Leadership Styles
There are four leadership styles that people must be aware of in order to be a more effective leader:
- Direct – Direct leaders have high assertiveness and low expressiveness. They tend to lead by taking charge.
- Spirited – Spirited leaders have high assertiveness and high expressiveness. They usually lead others by inspiring them.
- Considerate – Considerate leaders have low assertiveness and high expressiveness. They lead by building group harmony.
- Systematic – Systematic leaders have low assertiveness and low expressiveness. They usually lead by planning carefully.
The most effective leaders adapt their leadership styles for each situation they encounter. They need to know when to be flexible, when to negotiate, and when to be firm. They can “flex” their styles to work with others and lead them to success.
Becoming a Better Leader
A good leader exemplifies certain traits. They need to be open to learning and growing as they advance through their career. If they have buy-in from their staff, they are more likely to be successful. The success of a leader truly depends on their support staff, so they should ensure they are operating with honesty, transparency, respect, and dignity. Great skills to exemplify include:
- Learning Continually. As a leader, a person must recognize that they need be continual learners. The learning process never stops, and good leaders grow and change as time goes on.
- Championing Change. As change is constant, leaders must be champions of change—planning it, approaching it, introducing it, working it, and following through on it.
- Communicating Powerfully. Every part of the leader’s role requires communication skills. Leaders must become powerful communicators to get what they want to express across.
- Building Relationships. Leaders have to cooperate with people. They must build relationships to gain respect from others and work toward success.
- Developing Others. Coaching and giving feedback are two skills that leaders need to perform continually. To reach goals, there needs to be individual growth of everyone on the team.
- Solving Problems and Making Decisions. Problems will occur and decisions must be made daily. Leaders must become problem solvers and decision makers.
- Setting Goals. Leaders are responsible for setting goals for themselves, their team, and the organization. Setting and working to meet goals is an integral part of a company’s evolution to success.
What's My Leadership Style is a management development and leadership style assessment and training workshop that identifies leadership style and h...View full detailsfrom $25.75
We are all given a unique set of talents when we are born. While these abilities help us to evolve as leaders, others need to be nurtured and devel...View full detailsfrom $32.00
Managing in today's complex environment is more challenging than ever. With multi-functional teams, virtual work environments, and dotted-line repo...View full detailsfrom $25.75
Most people think the term "legacy" is something you leave behind when you're gone. But what if you were living your legacy now? What if your visio...View full detailsfrom $25.75
There's no doubt that the leaders in your organization look great on paper. They've got degrees from leading universities, impeccable credentials, ...View full detailsfrom $25.75
Reality-Based Leadershipby Cy Wakeman Based on Cy Wakeman's popular book "Reality-Based Leadership," this workshop conveys a candid, humorous appr...View full detailsfrom $28.00
Send supervisors on a memorable exploration of supervisory skills with Flight from Savo, HRDQ's exciting hands-on adventure game. Participants expe...View full detailsfrom $60.00
Talk Like a Leader: What Every Leader Needs to HearRTL Customizable CourseDid you know the average person speaks up to 16,000 words each and everyd...View full details$599.00
Today's business environment demands that all managers effectively display both leadership and management skills. However, managers often aren't cl...View full detailsfrom $25.75
You don't have to leave earth for stellar skill development. Long gone are the days where collaboration served as an intermittent, as-needed approa...View full detailsfrom $12.50
The Strategic Leadership Type Indicator (SLTI) is fast becoming the new standard for a four-quadrant type supervisory leadership assessment. Traine...View full detailsfrom $80.00
Leadership 101 RTL Customizable Course The Leadership 101 digital course is part of the Reproducible Training Library suite of high-quality, resea...View full details$599.00
Visionary leaders are inspiring; and every organization, regardless of size or mission, requires leadership that can manage existing business while...View full detailsfrom $41.25
Designed specifically for use in situations where a comprehensive analysis of leadership characteristics is useful, the Campbell Leadership Descrip...View full detailsfrom $25.75
Courageous Leadership by Bill Treasurer Courageous Leadership is a program for using courage to transform the workplace. We have high and often con...View full detailsfrom $15.00